About the first thing I did when I got back from South America was to learn how to cook this Peruvian classic. It is traditionally served with chips and rice but it comes with quinoa in my house. This recipe is adapted from one by Martin Morales, owner of the excellent Ceviche and Andina restaurants in London.
4 garlic cloves, crushed
4 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp wine vinegar
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cumin
200g beef steak or diced beef suitable for pan frying
Half red onion, sliced
2 tomatoes, skinned, cored and cut into eighths
1 green chilli, sliced
Handful of parsley, chopped
Handful of coriander, chopped
1 portion of quinoa
1. Make the marinade and stir in the beef. Cover, chill and marinade for a few hours
2. Cook the quinoa according to the pack instruction
3. Remove the meat from the marinade with a slotted spoon. Reserve the marinade.
4. Heat a little vegetable oil in a pan and cook the meat over a high heat until browned all over. Remove.
5. Add the onion to the pan and cook for about a minute.
6. Add the tomato and chilli, cook for 30 seconds.
7. Add the marinate, allow to simmer and turn off the heat.
8. Return the meat to the pan, toss and leave to rest for a few minutes.
9. Garnish with the herbs and serve on a bed of quinoa